Laura’s 2 years at Dovetail Recruitment
It’s another anniversary at Dovetail Recruitment this month
As Laura hits 2 years she gives an insight into what it’s like working as a recruitment consultant.
We can’t believe that Laura has been with Dovetail for 2 years this month. She’s certainly proven herself a natural for recruitment as she’s been a real star performer over this time.
Having relocated from London two years ago to join us and start her career in recruitment, we had the opportunity to train her up from scratch. And she picked it up fast. Earlier this year Laura successfully completed her
Level 3 Certificate in Recruitment Practice (CertRP) and passed with a distinction.
Laura, what would your top tips be for anyone looking to start a career in recruitment?
- Research the agency you’re thinking about joining, make sure you like the sorts of roles they work on and the companies they work with.
- Always remember it’s a rollercoaster – as every day is different with mixed emotions of highs and lows
- Every now again, we have challenging situations where we have to think on our feet and be able to problem solve – it’s makes it even more rewarding.
- Be prepared to work hard and put your all into it; the buzz you get when it all works out is so worth it.
How would you describe working in recruitment:
- It’s a ridiculously varied job, from talking to candidates or clients on the phone, to going to client meetings, doing the marketing, specking clients, researching candidates, attending networking events, not to mention all the admin that goes with it!
- A new job is up there with the biggest moments in our lives and it’s so important to get it right. It’s also really important for us to get it right for our clients as a lot of time and effort goes into not only recruiting but the inductions, training and bringing new team members up to scratch.
I like to think we’re here to help our candidates find their perfect match roles; and our clients find not only the best talent, but perfect match candidates for their company and culture. The art of recruitment is to ‘dovetail’ these needs together and it’s getting this balance right that makes it so interesting.
- What’s really interesting is that it’s an eye opener into the local companies and the success that’s based in Dorset. Before I came to work here I had no idea of the different roles you could do within a business.
School didn’t teach me that such a thing as a Brand Manager existed, or that one of the largest manufacturers is based down here. That’s the beauty of recruitment.
What do you enjoy most about working at Dovetail?
- It’s such a good feeling when you’ve been working hard on a placement – over 2 months or so, and it finally pays off; and then you end up working with them as a new client – it doesn’t get better than that!
- I love it when you find a great candidate and I know I’ll be able to place them, maybe not straightaway – but it’s waiting for that right match – and then it works hopefully like a dream.
- The real joy of recruitment is that ultimately, you’re helping people find happiness in work – which is such a big part of our lives; we’re here to help with big life choices and open-up opportunities for people.
- I couldn’t end this without saying one of the best things about working here is the team. I know it sounds cliché, but I quite literally couldn’t do it without them. It’s such a supportive and great atmosphere here and I’d really like to thank Liz and Fran for taking a chance on the trainee me of 2 years ago and making me the consultant I am today!
I honestly don’t know where the time goes sometimes.
We are currently looking for a recruitment consultant to join the Dovetail Team
– if you’re interested, please send us your CV