Should I look for a new job?
It’s the new year, we’ve had some time off, and I’m sure many of you will have had some time to not only recharge, but reflect on life and work. Years ago, every January, I used to dread going back to work or school and I’m sure I’m not alone. But how do you know if it’s just the January blues or time to move? If you’re asking yourself ‘should I look for a new job?’, here are 8 reasons as to why it might be time to move.
- You’re generally unhappy day to day. We spend the majority of our time at work. If you’re feeling unhappy or just a bit low on a day to day basis, chances are your job and work isn’t helping, or could actually be causing that. If you’re asking yourself ‘should I look for a new job?’ the answer is probably yes. Do you look forward to going to work or do you get the feeling of dread on a Sunday night? If you’re dreading it, then why not look for something new, exciting, and a fresh start. After all, you know what they say about repeating the same thing and expecting different results!
- You’re worried about job security. Why wait to be made redundant, or moved into a different role that isn’t what you signed up for? Take the leap before you are pushed, make it on your own terms, and take your time to find the right thing. You don’t need to make any decisions immediately, so why not see what’s out there?
- You find yourself thinking about work constantly – and not in a good way. Don’t get me wrong, I must admit, I do think about work more often than not these days. But not in a bad way. Just in a general ‘thinking things over’ way. It doesn’t give me a pang of worry, it doesn’t stress me out, it’s just natural. However, if you are constantly finding yourself worrying about things at work, that’s a sign not everything is peachy. You might be stressed, overworked, or overwhelmed. Somewhere else may be able to offer you better work/life balance and support.
- You don’t feel you can learn anything more. Now, I’m not talking about those of you who are 3 months in and who have finished the training. There’s still far more you can learn about the business, about your colleagues, clients and just in general. But if you’ve been somewhere for years, there’s no onward progression or development, and you feel like you’re going through the motions, it’s time for a change. Refresh your career, and look for something that will challenge you and get you excited again.
- The thought of a new job excites you. This point wont be for everyone. For most, changing job is a scary prospect, and that’s natural so don’t let it put you off! But if you’re actually feeling excited about finding something new, then you need to go for it!
- You don’t get on with your colleagues. Not everyone is lucky enough to form great friendships at work, but if you’re really feeling the resistance with your colleagues, and you’re clashing with them regularly, it’s time to get out before it gets toxic and you finish on bad terms. You spend a lot of time at work, and being surrounded by people you don’t get on with is going to take its toll eventually.
- You find yourself complaining to friends and family about work a lot. Many people will just say ‘that’s just part of work life’, but it doesn’t have to be. If you’re complaining about work more than you’re talking about anything else, you’re probably more unhappy than you realise. There’s no point putting up with a situation that isn’t showing any signs of improvement. Look for something new where you can have a fresh start.
- You’re drinking/eating too much. Two classic signs of stress and unhappiness. We all have stressful days and need to relax with comfort food, a glass of wine. But if you find yourself doing that on a daily basis, reflect on why. It might be time to find something new.
So if you feel you relate to one of those 8 points, why not just have a look and see what’s out there on the job market, open some doors and make some contacts. Explore opportunities and consider your options. And if you don’t know where to start…well that’s what we’re here for! Check out our vacancies here: https://dovetailrecruitment.co.uk/vacancies/
Related Dovetail articles:
Follow us to keep up to date with The UK Job Market Report May, Recruitment + HR news, as well as our latest jobs, career tips + everything else related to your working world.