June 2014: New Vacancies up 25% in the first 6 months of 2014
The number of new job vacancies available in the UK from January to June 2014 grew by more than 25% year-on-year. The number of new vacancies across every industry and in every region of the UK stood at 213 for June 2014 – its highest level since the Index was set at 100 in December 2009. There were 30% more vacancies available in June 2014 compared to June 2013.
The fastest growing industries so far in 2014 include:
- Construction and Property (+61% more vacancies year-on-year)
- Motoring and Automotive (+51% more vacancies year-on-year)
- Transport and Logistics (+45% more vacancies year-on-year)
- Manufacturing (+42% more vacancies year-on-year)
Notable growths have also been seen in support services including:
- Legal Sector (+66% more vacancies year-on-year)
- Estate Agency (+42% more vacancies year-on-year)
Each UK region showed year-on-year growth during the first six months of 2014 – Wales had the largest growth with more than 39% more new vacancies than in the same period last year, whilst Northern Ireland saw the slowest growth at 17%.
In spite of encouraging jobs growth across almost every sector of the economy, salaries on offer remain flat.